NELS 53 at the University of Göttingen!
NELS 53 was held at the University of Göttingen in Germany from January 12th to 14th, 2023. Many thanks to all who participated!
The booklet of abstracts for NELS 53 can be found here.
The 53rd Annual Meeting of the North East Linguistic Society (NELS 53) will be hosted by the University of Göttingen in Germany. For various reasons, no universities were available to host NELS this year in the US or Canada. The recently founded Research Training Group 2636 “Form-meaning mismatches” and the broader linguistics community in Göttingen are therefore delighted to come together to make NELS possible this year. As such, for just the second time in the history of NELS, the meeting will take place in Europe.
There will be three sessions for presentations: the main session (including syntax, semantics, morphology, and phonology), a special session for visual communication and sign language (note: interpretation between English and IS/ASL will be provided for this session), and a special session for form-meaning mismatches. Please specify in your application to which of these sessions you would like to submit.
On account of the ever-volatile COVID conditions, we have prepared the necessary infrastructure for NELS 53 to take place in a hybrid fashion. Please indicate during the submission whether you would present online or onsite.
Artemis Alexiadou (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
Elena Anagnostopoulou (University of Crete)
Ad Neeleman (University College London)
Aditi Lahiri (University of Oxford)
Diane Brentari (University of Chicago)
Viola Schmitt (Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin)
Call for papers
We invite theoretical contributions from all subfields of generative linguistics as part of the general session. Presentations will be 20 minutes, followed by 10 minutes for discussion. In addition, there will be poster sessions (details to follow). Submissions are limited to two per author, of which at most one paper may be single-authored.
- Abstracts, including references and data, must not exceed two A4 or letter pages, have 2.54 cm (1 inch) margins on all sides, and be set in Times New Roman with a font size no smaller than 11pt.
- Examples, tables, graphs, etc. must be interspersed into the text of the abstract, rather than collected at the end.
- The submission must not reveal the identity of the author(s) in any way.
- Submissions are limited to two per author, with at most one paper being single-authored.
- Please indicate which of the sessions you intend to submit to: the main session (including syntax, semantics, morphology, and phonology), a special session for visual communication and sign languages (note: interpretation between English and ASL/IS will be provided for this session), and a special session for form-meaning mismatches.
- We ask that everyone submitting an abstract be willing to review two abstracts. This will help to ensure that all submissions are processed in a timely fashion. If you cannot participate in the review process for any reason, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Abstracts must be submitted in PDF format through the NELS53 EasyChair page by Saturday, September 10th at 23:59 Central European Summer Time (UTC+02:00).
- September 10, 2022: Submission deadline.
- October 27, 2022: Notification of acceptance.
- January 12-14, 2023: NELS 53 in Göttingen.